Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cross Country Skiing!!!

Well, Dan and I went down to Lindon for the holiday weekend and as part of our Christmas presents from Dan's parents they took us cross country skiing.  Dan has gone a few times and was very excited about it.  I, on the other hand, have only been down hill skiing twice in my life and snowboarding a ton.  And let me tell you... cross country skiing is nothing like snowboarding and at least from what I remember not very much like downhill skiing.  But it was fun!  Matthew got a bright idea to take Wendy up on one of the hard runs her first time.  It wasn't bad honestly, I struggled trying to figure out the motion but after a while I got it figured out.  And I really did have fun.  However, I can tell you that my knees were a little mad at me for part of it because they just didn't like being bent the way they were.  But I did find I enjoyed going on the easier trails a lot more.  I also did a lot better when I was using the tracks because they force your skis to stay straight, which made my knees a lot happier than when they were being bent in random directions. 

I think my favorite part of the whole day was I was going with Karl and Gwen (Dan's parents) on a run while Matthew and Dan went a different direction.  And Karl is about as good as I was at this whole cross country skiing deal.  Well, he was in front of me and he was using the tracks as well.  We started to go downhill at a section of the trail and he was going along quite well and I was following a good distance behind but you pick up pretty good speed considering.  Karl loses balance and falls down and is right in the tracks and I'm coming down at a decent speed going "Karl you better move quick or it's going to be a disaster!"  Well luckily I got myself slowed down enough and he got out of the way before I got there but it was close.  Too bad Karl actually hurt is ribs a little on that fall. 

Overall, its been a great weekend!  I've loved spending time with Dan's family and its really fun to have a little brother now! 

On a completely different note, the first week of school went well.  Dan and I seem to both like our classes, which is excited!  We also are working on getting into a more set routine which is really nice. 

And finally, on another completely different note, a year ago today, Dan and I got married for the first time... playing LIFE.  A group of friends got together last year and we started the night out by playing Monopoly, then Pirates Life, and finally Life Twists and Turns.  However, LIFE T&T only let's you play with 4 people.  Well Dan and I had already played the game before so we decided we would just play together.  Little did we realize that we were playing Life and we had the "Stop Get Married" part of the game.  We all ended up joking around about how we got married!  After that, anytime we played the game Dan and I were a team and only one of us could actually play until we were married then we would play as a married couple and would take turns and everything! So now we will celebrate our first LIFE anniversary, almost two months after we got married in real life.

1 comment:

Cyri said...

You guys are too cute. :) You would remember that- yay for random happy things that means tons later in life!